*** Akron Polymer Training Services now offers remote learning training courses featuring live instructors. For more information, visit our Online Course Requirements webpage. ***
ONLINE COURSE: Rubber Molding Processes: Principles, Troubleshooting & Mold Design
Course Number: 136-0854 (formerly AP3576)
Date: 06/01/2021 - 06/04/2021
Time: 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Cost: $1,200 USD
Instructor: Mr. Terry Chapin
Course Times: 9:00 am - 11:00 am and 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm (EACH DAY)
This seminar covers a broad range of topics that are fundamental to the design of rubber molds. Each topic covered includes some basic well known aspects of rubber mold design and also touches on some lesser known rubber mold design techniques and concepts. The novice rubber mold designer will be overwhelmed with useful design information and the seasoned practitioner will find plenty of valuable bits of information well worth the day.
Online Course Requirements
We want you to have a great experience participating in our remote (online) courses, and for that, you’ll need the right equipment and internet connection.
Minimum needs are:
- A broadband internet connection that has at least a 2 Mbps upload and download speed.
- A computer (PC or Mac) that can support the latest web browser versions.
- At least 4 GB of RAM and adequate hard drive space.
- A microphone and a speaker.
- International Students: For virtual (online) courses, an additional fee will be assessed to cover the cost of shipping the professional binder (presentation slides), to your address. The cost of international shipping can be significant.
For more information, visit our Online Course Requirements webpage.
Terry Chapin received his B.S. from Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio in June 1980. He majored in mechanical engineering and minored in math and civil engineering.
After 33 years, he retired from Delphi as a senior materials engineer, working primarily in the area of silicones, elastomer parts and foam products development. He was previously senior rubber technical and cost leader at Delphi, after working as a tool engineer for rubber and plastic molds at the Delphi Packard Division for more than 20 years. He is now working for himself as a consultant and instructor. His new company is Elastomeister, and his position is Rubber Technologist.
Terry has been involved in the rubber industry for more than 30 years, working with rubber companies all over the world. He has held previous engineering positions at Paxson Machine Company, EMCO Wheaton and Commercial Shearing. He holds two U.S. patents. Terry has been an active technical speaker for university level continuing education instruction, rubber conferences and technical in-plant venues for more than 25 years.
Rubber Molding Processes: Principles, Troubleshooting & Mold Design
- Principles of Rubber Material & Behavior During Molding
- Principles of Molding Methods
- Compression Molding
- Transfer Molding
- Injection Molding
- Principles of Molding Equipment
- Principles of Mold Construction
- Mold Steel and Finishing
- Cavity Inserts, Cores, and Core-Bars
- Gates & Vents
- Runner Layouts and Cross-Sections
- Use of Insulation
- Platen Design
- Compression Mold Design
- Transfer Mold Design
- Injection Mold Design
- Specialized Mold Design Techniques
- Runner Design Techniques
- How Runners and Cavities Fill
- Cross-Section Designs
- Laminar Flow Ratio
- Vanturi Runner Feature
- Flashless Molding
- Wasteless Molding
- Operator Assist Techniques
- Prototype Molding Techniques
- Principles of Rubber to Metal Bonding and/or Over-Molding
- Mold Release & Mold Maintenance
- Rubber Product Performance & Tolerances