The University of Akron Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship
The University of Akron Alumni Association established the Legacy Scholarship program in 2001 through its governing body, the National Alumni Board of Directors. The Legacy Scholarship assists as many full-time undergraduate students as possible - with limited funds - who are the children, grandchildren or under legal guardianship of a University of Akron alumnus/a.
The scholarship symbolizes the University’s commitment to community and student support and recognizes the importance of providing funds to retain students and assist them towards earning a college degree.
To be eligible to apply for this competitive scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Parent, grandparent or guardian must be a University of Akron alumnus/a.
- Applicant must be a full-time undergraduate student for the following academic year.
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- Demonstrate leadership abilities and community activities with a minimum two years of community service required.
- Possess high standards of character as evidenced by letters of recommendation
Financial need may be considered. Preference will be given to the well-rounded student (includes good academic performance, extracurricular activities and volunteer experience).
Did you know?
- The Legacy Scholarship is funded in part by UA-branded Ohio license plates. (UA plates cost an additional $35. Of that, $25 goes directly to the Legacy Scholarship Fund.)
- Since its creation, the Legacy Scholarship has been awarded to over 80 students, totaling over $80,000 in scholarship dollars.
Scholarship Information and Selection Process
The total number of scholarships and award amounts given per year will be based upon available funds from the endowment, and may be renewable. Recipients must enroll full time in both semesters to receive the full award.
The selection committee shall consist of members of the National Alumni Board of Directors and one staff member of the Alumni Association who will consider academic performance, leadership, community service, honors, and career goals in making their selections. There are no restrictions to applicants based on age, gender, race, nationality, country of origin, physical disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
The complete application package must be postmarked no later than Monday, February 6, 2023, which includes submission of the online scholarship application, two mailed letters of recommendation, and an official transcript to:
The University of Akron Alumni Association
Attn: Legacy Scholarship 2023
Akron, OH 44325-2602
For questions or more information, contact The University of Akron Alumni Association at 330-972-7271 or via e-mail at email@example.com.