Our Boys in Blue and Gold
A Chronicle of Zips Football
by Tara Kaloz
Pages: 209; Size: 8.5" x 11"
Imprint: Ringtaw Books
Our Boys in Blue and Gold chronicles Zips football from the late 1800s until today. Stories from The Buchtelite have been carefully selected to provide a complete and unique picture of the university’s crucial games and motley characters. Historic images fill the pages with a timeline of the sport itself.
The first book of its kind about Zips football includes:
- An historical account of the team’s journey from its inception in 1891 through the 2008 season
- Special sections on the Zips and Zippy, the wagon wheel, the Acme–Zip game, the coaches, the marching band, the cheerleaders, and the playing fields and stadiums
- Over 50 carefully-selected news articles that provide a comprehensive portrait of Zips football
- Unique images from every decade dating back to 1891
- A foreword by Jim Tressel, who started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at The University of Akron
- Extensively-researched selections from The University of Akron Archives, The University of Akron Athletics Department, The Buchtelite, the Tel-Buch, and more
- Features about landmark games, historic contests, and traditions
- Season records dating back to the program’s inception