Student health insurance

All registered domestic students taking six or more credit hours, doctoral students and other special academic program students are eligible to enroll in a student health and basic accident plan administered through an outside insurance agent, Leonard Insurance Services. The plan is underwritten by Student Educational Benefit Trust (SEBT).

It is a voluntary program that domestic students may choose to enroll in if they find the coverage adequate for their needs.

The University makes the coverage available to students purely as a service only, and we do not receive commissions from the program.

Your University email will serve as your user name and your initial password will be your University ID number.

Once enrolled, you can log into the SEBT website to add dependents or enroll in optional dental and vision coverage.

A student health insurance liaison is available to answer questions:

International students

All registered international students taking credit hours are required to purchase this insurance plan unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished and meets the following criteria:

  1. The plan must be a government-sponsored program, employer benefit for the student or parent of the student (if the student is a dependent),  or be provided by another source (i.e. scholarship) that guarantees acceptable coverage will remain in force during the entire length of your stay.
  2. The plan must be provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States with (a) a U.S. claim payment office, (b) a U.S. telephone number, and (c) plan literature available in English. Travel insurance plans and reimbursement programs of any kind do not qualify.
  3. The plan must exceed the coverage provided the University Student Health Plan. If the waiver is approved, the student must provide proof of payment for the entire year. No monthly or installment payment will be permitted. Note: Many plans may appear comparable, but there are “internal limits,” “exclusions” and “pre-existing illness clauses” that can leave students almost unprotected.

International students interested in obtaining a waiver should email with details about their request.

Coverage for dependents

Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the spouse and unmarried children under 19 years of age or under 23 years, if a full-time dependent student at an accredited institution of higher learning.

Details about coverage

For more information regarding plan premiums, details of coverage, limitations, etc. please contact the student health insurance liaison:

Additionally, informational insurance plan brochures are available at Student Health Services located in the Student Recreation Wellness Center, Suite 260 (map). 

The University of Akron | Buchtel Hall

Buchtel Hall, at the center of campus, is one of the University's iconic buildings.