Tuition at The University of Akron is among the lowest in Ohio
Financial assistance is available in many forms:
- generous scholarships
- part-time employment
In addition to general scholarships available to all students at The University of Akron, the School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts Administration offers several scholarships specifically for its majors.
Visit UA Financial Aid for more information!
Theatre Scholarships for outstanding high school seniors or newly declared
High school seniors or newly declared
The applicant must be a senior in high school or already enrolled at The University of Akron, an active participant in performing arts activities, and planning to major in the Theatre Arts program at The University of Akron.The applicant should demonstrate leadership qualities, the ability to effectively work as a member of a production team, strong character, academic ability, organizational skills, and experience in different aspects of
In 2017, one applicant will receive a full tuition scholarship and as many as five other applicants will receive up to $5,000 to be applied to tuition and fees associated with full-time enrollment as a
- At the time of application, the student must be an outstanding high school performing arts senior or a student at The University of Akron or a transfer student.
- All applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4-point scale (or equivalent).
- The applicant must have applied to The University of Akron as a prospective
theatremajor and been accepted or have declared a theatremajor.
Application requirements (for high school seniors)
- A résumé including production and performance participation, leadership positions held, and academic achievements.
- A copy of the student’s high school transcript.
- An essay describing the characteristics of an exceptional
theatreartist and how the applicant’s accomplishments qualify him or her for the scholarship.
- A letter of recommendation from the student’s high school advisor and/or drama director detailing the characteristics that qualify the applicant for the scholarship.
The process includes a scholarship audition/interview conducted at The University of Akron or at the Ohio Thespian state conference in March.
Awards granted are for one academic year with the possibility of renewal. Students must meet all requirements listed in the application. Details and application forms are available through the Theatre Program’s website starting February 1. The deadline for applications is April 1, 2017.
Scholarship application submission checklist
- Application form
- Applicant essay
- Applicant résumé and transcript
- The University of Akron acceptance status
- High School advisor or director recommendation
Applicationmust be received at the Theatre Program Office by April 1, and notification of awards will be made by May 1.
For questions or more information about the UA Theatre Program or scholarships, contact Professor James Slowiak, firstname.lastname@example.org