December Safety Focus: Emergency Scenarios12/05/2017
The CPSPE safety team came up with this month’s safety focus! This month I will schedule to present a short emergency scenario during group meetings. This will take approximately 20 minutes and we will review what to do if an emergency occurs in your work area. I will work with each faculty member to accommodate their scheduling needs.
We have had 10 incidents that were reported in 2017 with 4 injuries: finger laceration, acid burn, blast lacerations and an inhalation injury.
There are 8 recurrent issues contributing to accidents that have occurred since 2015:
- Not wearing personal protection gear (lab coat / safety glasses).
- Lack of SOP’s and training.
- Deficient understanding of Emergency Procedures.
- Failure to read/understand an SDS.
- Failure to follow the basic lab safety rules.
- Going to the hospital in personal vehicles.
- Working alone.
Let’s start now and make it a Safer 2018!!
College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering
The University of Akron