Research Experience for Teachers in Polymer Engineering 2017
- Work with a research group in Polymer Engineering, Polymer Science, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering or Biomedical Engineering
- Learn about fundamental engineering principles
- Translate this knowledge and experience into lessons and units for your classroom
- To bring ten high school science teachers to the University of Akron each summer for an eight week research experience program focused on polymer engineering to increase their knowledge of engineering content and practices and enable them to effectively disseminate this knowledge in their classroom
- Support teachers to translate this research experience into lesson plans aligned with state and national standards that provide new inquiry based learning opportunities in engineering
- Disseminate the lesson plans and results of this research for broad impact both locally and nationally through web and journal publication, workshops, outreach events, and national conference symposia
- Build long-lasting partnerships between the K-12 STEM community, industry, and the University of Akron to improve the overall quality of STEM education in the region
THERE IS NO FEE FOR PARTICIPATION
DETAILS OF THE PROGRAM ARE DESCRIBED IN THE INFORMED CONSENT FORM
This program is funded by the National Science Foundation: Award Number EEC-1542358.
- June 13th to August 3rd, 2017
- Tues-Fri First Week, Mon-Thur Weeks 2-7, and two Friday field trips TBD
Begin your application online at: https://akron.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_aY4weZQemJWehG5.
You must also send the following 4 items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to complete the online application process.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- One page statement of purpose about why you would like participate in the program and your qualifications
- Recommendation letter from a supervisor or colleague
- Supervisor Permission Form (please print on school letterhead, fill in your name and have your supervisor (e.g. principal) sign and date. You can download the permission form [Word Doc] here: http://uakron.edu/cpspe/agpa-k12outreach/documents/RET-PermissionForm2017.docx
Questions about the program can be directed to: email@example.com
The lesson plans below were created by high school science teachers that participated in the RET program. Please click on a link to view the lesson plan.
- A Comparative Study of Lactase and Lactase Supplements
- A Test of Adhesive Strength
- Biomimicry Using Polymers to Mimic Pinecones or Flowers
- Can You Get Enough Protein from Milk Alternatives?
- Creating Shape Memory Polymers
- Decomposition of Polymers: Removal of Chewing Gum
- Determining the coefficient of friction for various tires on a ramp
- Diaper Dilemma
- Drug Delivery with Polymer Based Nanoparticles
- Energy Cars and Polymers: Reducing Frictional Forces
- Exploration of Bones as a Natural Composite Material
- Gellin Like a...Hydrophylic Polymer?
- The Great Rube Goldberg Polymer Machine
- Hydrate Me!
- Hydrogels make Happy Plants
- Impulse: An investigation of Impulse/Change in Momentum
- Mechanical Properties of 3D Printed Parts in Fused Deposition Modeling
- Naturally Hydrophobic
- Ooeey Gooey Fun! But Can We Sell This Stuff? Putty Experiment
- Plastic Surface Competition
- Polymer Pie
- Properties of Spider Web Adhesion
- Smelly Synthesis
- The Stress of Being a Recycled Bag
- What Happens to the Heat?
- Young's Modulus: An investigation of Stress versus Strain using PDMS Polymer